Date Rolls |Ramadan Recipes
As previously promised, here is a Ramadan Recipe that you all might like to try and make to enjoy for a sweet taste after your Ramadan fasting or just for a nice tasty treat.
· Butter, icing sugar, 2 eggs, all-purpose flour, Medjool dates and some walnuts.
PREPARE THE PASTRY
1. In a large mixing bowl add 100 grams of salted butter and 75 grams icing sugar. Beat on low speed until the sugar has incorporated, then increase the speed to medium-high and beat till the mixture is fluffy.
2. Add one egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, continue mixing.
3. Add 250 grams all-purpose flour beating on low speed with each addition until the dough looks crumbly.
4. Divide the dough into two parts. Shape each half roughly into a square. Flatten it out a bit, wrap it in cling film. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
STUFF THE DATES (OPTIONAL)
Cut about 20 walnuts in halves. Insert half a walnut in the center of the date. Repeat with the rest of the dates and walnut halves.
PREPARE THE DATE ROLLS
Preheat the oven to 180° C for 15 minutes. On a clean work surface, roll out the dough to about 1/8 inch in thickness.
If you find that the dough is sticking to the rolling pin, cover it with another parchment paper or more flour and continue rolling
Trim off the edges. Cut into 1.5-inch strips, or as per the size of the dates and add the dates to the center and roll.
Place it on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
Add an egg yolk to a bowl. Add two teaspoons of water, whisk it together.
Brush each roll with egg wash. This is optional, but it adds a lovely golden brown color to the crust.
Bake at 180° C for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is lightly golden.
We hope that you all enjoy this delicious recipe! Let us know what you think. Please do send us some pictures if you decide to bake these this weekend.